Statement of Beliefs
My set of Christian beliefs are Protestant at their core
(i.e. Sola Scriptura, Sola fide, Sola gratia, Solo Christo, Soli Deo
gloria). (See five
solas in Wikipedia for a summary description.) What I add or modify
to Protestantism is traditional (i.e. pioneer) Seventh-day Adventist
teaching as follows:
- God's Nature.
I present the three principal views here.
The pioneer SDA position was Binitarian as recognized by modern-day
- God's Creation. God is the creator of the world (ex nihilo--out of nothing) and is alone immortal (1 Timothy 6:16). Man's immortality is conditional. Also referred to as Christian
- God's Law. God's 10 commandments given on Mount Sinai (Exodus 20:2-17) are immutable, unchanging, eternal. It defines God's character. Jesus brought out their deeper meaning when he spoke on the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7).
- God's Rest. The 7th day Sabbath is a celebration of when God rested from both His creation and salvation which were both brought out by His Son. Summarized in Wikipedia here.
- God's Grace. Christ not only justifies (forgives)
he also sanctifies (cleanses and purifies). It is not just a "legal"
cleansing (justification), but a soul cleansing (sanctification)--the
renewal of mind, the transforming of character--that Christ performs
in a believer's life. See 1
- God's Justice. My eschatology is premillenial (Christ comes before the 1,000 years in heaven)
and annihilationist (the unsaved are destroyed and cease to exist). It is summarized in Wikipedia here.
- God's Mercy. The sanctuary system of types in the Old Testament best explains God's plan of salvation and fulfillment in and through Jesus Christ. Wikipedia provides a good summary here.